PDA

View Full Version : Main Difference Between Tall and Short Hookahs?

Roy
01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, I been having this doubt for quite a while now.
I've never tried a small hookah, but, what is the main difference between a tall hookah and a short hookah?
Is there a difference in the smoke or flavor perhaps?

Nights Of Baghdad
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Well, I been having this doubt for quite a while now.
I've never tried a small hookah, but, what is the main difference between a tall hookah and a short hookah?
Is there a difference in the smoke or flavor perhaps?

besides the size, smaller hookahs are easier to clean and use, some will say smaller hookahs smoke hotter and some will say they dont, smaller hookahs take up less space..nothing wrong with getting a smaller sized one..but you cant help but get a woody when your starring at a big 30''+ hookah..lol also flavor has nothing to do with the size of the hookah

Roy
01-16-2010, 10:56 PM
besides the size, smaller hookahs are easier to clean and use, some will say smaller hookahs smoke hotter and some will say they dont, smaller hookahs take up less space..nothing wrong with getting a smaller sized one..but you cant help but get a woody when your starring at a big 30''+ hookah..lol also flavor has nothing to do with the size of the hookah

So basically, its the same but smaller, right?
I was just wondering because my uncle bought me a 27" hookah, but it has yet to arrive by mail.

Nights Of Baghdad
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
So basically, its the same but smaller, right?
I was just wondering because my uncle bought me a 27" hookah, but it has yet to arrive by mail.

yeah i wouldnt worry too much in height of a hookah..unless you live in small dorm or just dont have much space at home..do you know what brand hookah he got for you?

Roy
01-16-2010, 11:41 PM
yeah i wouldnt worry too much in height of a hookah..unless you live in small dorm or just dont have much space at home..do you know what brand hookah he got for you?

Its most likely a generic hookah, because he doesnt know much about them. He just told me he bought from eBay.

Nights Of Baghdad
01-16-2010, 11:55 PM
hey its the thought that counts..lol you may get lucky and he got you a km, there is one solid hookah vendor that sells on ebay and he usually has some really good hookahs from time to time, i wish i could remember his name..but if this is your first hookah then its actually a great way to go..because if your new even a $300 hookah wont be worth anything if you dont know what your doing you know what i mean?..so this gives you a chance to learn how to pack your bowl, learn how to manage your heat,poke your holes..basically you will learn everything it takes to make your sessions good, and once you get it down right on a generic hookah they will be much better when you get a name brand like km,mya,mz

Roy
01-17-2010, 12:55 AM
hey its the thought that counts..lol you may get lucky and he got you a km, there is one solid hookah vendor that sells on ebay and he usually has some really good hookahs from time to time, i wish i could remember his name..but if this is your first hookah then its actually a great way to go..because if your new even a $300 hookah wont be worth anything if you dont know what your doing you know what i mean?..so this gives you a chance to learn how to pack your bowl, learn how to manage your heat,poke your holes..basically you will learn everything it takes to make your sessions good, and once you get it down right on a generic hookah they will be much better when you get a name brand like km,mya,mz

I hope so.
Well Its not my first time trying a hookah, just preparing, so i know what to aim for.
The thing im not familiar with are the shishas. but that would be another topic.

suburbankilla
01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
i got a 12" hookah, bought from a hookah bar for 15 bucks, i like it, but when i get money im getting a monster. lol just like u said night, start off small or cheap to know what to do. i still need to get the pack right still mine is still a lil too loose for loose.

onishogun
02-15-2010, 02:17 AM
one of my first posts i have a MYA love the hookah like crazy only problem is the internal ball bearings get stuck no matter how well i clean it

Nights Of Baghdad
02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
one of my first posts i have a MYA love the hookah like crazy only problem is the internal ball bearings get stuck no matter how well i clean it

dont feel bad, even the $250 myas have that problem, remove that ball bearing and replace it with a plastic bb..it works great..

Joshua
02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey Roy, I would say that a tall hookah has these advantages over small hookahs:
1. The taller the hookah, the longer the shaft--the longer the shaft is, the more time the smoke has to cool. I always prefer cooler smoke, so this is something to take into account--That being said, the difference is not necessarily big enough to change my mind about the convenience of small hookahs such as mobility and quicker maintenance.
2. Generally I would say a taller hookah is also a larger hookah. Large hookahs have large bases that allow for more smoke and thicker, denser puffs.

No difference in flavor that I know of :)

onishogun
03-03-2010, 12:07 AM
The smoke from the smaller hookah is usually much hotter, than a large hookah plus i think personally i lost alot of flavor from small hookahs becasue of the amount of heat

Jake Dansby
03-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Taller hookahs CAN be better at managing heat. The smoke has a longer distance to travel from the coals giving it more time to cool off. I for one have a 5 hookahs, ranging from a qt to my mya tank. I don't prefer one over the other, just preference.

opticalshadow
03-28-2010, 05:27 PM
For thoses of you who get jammed ball bearings try buying. 2 or. 25 sized plastic airsoft pellets. I changed my km bearing with one and have never had another jam

As for the topic. I just plain don't like the look of small hookahs they smoke fine just not as pretty. My main is 34" and my next one will be 40+

Jake Dansby
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Yep, I've got a problem with my ball bearing on my mya tank and I'm going to fix it with the way posted above.

suburbankilla
03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
i have a small hookah, and heat management is hard for it, im always burning shisha, and the water gets so close to lukewarm when i put cold water n ice in the vase always.

hookahTIY
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Other thing about the dif. of the two is the tip over factor. If your using a small hookah and have a decent hose narbish, nammor, razan, grand washable. they are heavier than those cheap ones that come with most small hookahs. Also with a small hookah you risk having water splash up into the common? chamber and getting into the valve and the water basically makes the little metal ball stick so if you try clearing your hookah you might end up pushing water up to you bowl, and that makes the shisha taste very funky if it still burns at all.

suburbankilla
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
ive had tht happen almost friend filled it up all the way hit it and has a water fountian for a sec.

HellaChino
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I have a small mya I just don't like how I get water in the chamber sometimes. But since I have a small space and my mom hates how I smoke hookah I usually have to hide it so I find it convenient. Other then that I don't mind having my small mya. But I would love to have a smexy 30" hookah maybe one day when my mom accepts my hobby?

noobhax
03-31-2010, 12:46 AM
i have a 22 in nammor and a 32 km chiller and the km smokes way better, probably just cause it a KM haha but yeah i think bigger hookahs are way better

Hookah-burdar
06-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Well according to one of the few experts writing on hookahs and tobacco smoking with hookahs, Tunisian born Kamal CHAOUACHI, sociologist and well versed in "tobaccology", there seems to be a difference between large, tall hookahs and small ones. If I got him right, the smaller the hookah the more nicotine and other substances (potentially harming) you inhale. That would be another reason, along those already mentionned, for prefering large hookahs. That been said I do have a pumkin, bought on a trip, in Tangiers (Northern Morroco, just accross the Strait of Gibraltar), because my girlfriend and I wanted to smoke from the roof of the nice house we were staying in in the heart of the "medina", while listenning to the call to prier, and seing the Spanish coastline in the horizon, and all the roofs of the very nice old medina... I also have two other relatively small sized hookahs, one chinese, and a very good, all brass turkish nargile, which smokes great!

Maxxyboyy33
06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Really don't think there is too much difference at all! it's not about the size of the hookah its about if you know how to pack a good hookah. I have seen really not too much different in a tall hookah vs. a small hookah, but smaller hookahs are usually cheaper and easier to clean

suburbankilla
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
i have my pumpkin that ive been using since november, and i really love. its small yes, light yes, cheap yes. but hey it smokes, i get clouds, so ftfo if u dont like it. lol

wholesalehookah
06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
smaller hookahs are the same thing as larger ones if you ask me. iv smoked from 12 inch- 34 inch hookahs and basiclly its the same result. I just find larger ones look soo much nicer. If you want a real elegant piece of smoking device, I recommend larger ones for SURE.

Unity
08-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Between all the hookahs in my sig I've come to the conclusion that the quality of a session is affected by two things.

1. Heat
If there is too much heat, it will be a poor session. Obviously heat can be managed by properly tending your coals. The type of coal you use and wind covers add some variance, but when its too hot, you'll know it. The trick is to keep the temperature as close to that point as possible without ever actually reaching it. It is tricky, but over time you can get closer and closer without going over. It can be easier for somebody with a larger/taller hookah to manage heat than it is with a smaller hookah due to the difference in height/time, but with practice it will be negligible.

2. Airflow
If you don't have enough airflow, it will be a poor session. Airflow is actually fairly simple, but people seem to always over think it. There are three places that air gets restricted. The hose, the stem, and the bowl. The hose and stem are consistent. Every time you use a certain hose/stem combination, you will get the same restriction from them. How the bowl is packed is the only thing that adds variance (not counting using different types of bowls), and if you suck at packing a bowl for a small hookah, you'll still suck at packing a bowl for a large hookah. Larger hookahs will typically have wider stems, meaning less restriction (if paired with a proper hose). Larger hookahs can also hold hoses of a thicker gauge when compared to a smaller one. Basically, there is typically a higher volume of air capable of moving through a larger hookah at any one time...though if your bowl is packed like shit then you won't be able to reap the benefits...

Personally, if I was going to have only one hookah, it would have to be something in the 30-34 inch range. They're big enough that you don't have to pay too much extra attention to the details above when you're feeling lazy, but they're small enough to not feel "in the way" when they are out.

mavsfan31
08-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Quite the necro post...

elhookah
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
At least it contributed something... he's not just bumping for no reason. And I must say, his post is precisely what I think the difference is. My hookah is ~30" and is just awesome but I've smoked from much smaller hookahs with just as much success. It just comes down to how you manage it.

Unity
08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
My bad on the necro...I'm used to forums where if a thread is on the first page its usually only a few hours old. Its been a while since I've visited here.

mavsfan31
08-12-2010, 05:03 PM
My bad on the necro...I'm used to forums where if a thread is on the first page its usually only a few hours old. Its been a while since I've visited here.

No, your fine. It was a worthwhile post that you thought out, not just random junk saying that you like a tall hookah better or something.